Did you know that newborn babies don't have tears?
by: Dra. Francia Rocha Vasquez
Babies at birth do not have a well-developed tear duct, so they cry without tears. But it can produce secretions, which can accumulate taking on a yellowish color, which gives us the impression of a baby with sick eyes. Sometimes the baby may have a small pouch at the bottom of the eye like dark circles.
But don't worry, it's a very common situation in newborns even up to the first year of life, although it often gives parents anxiety.
Most cases resolve very well if the parents follow the recommendations of the pediatrician. Here's what you should NOT do:
- Do not apply infusions such as chamomile.
- Do not apply eye drops not indicated by the doctor.
- Don't use wet wipes, even though it says alcohol-free.
- Do not handle the baby with dirty hands.
- Do not isolate the baby, as it is not contagious.
When there is NO bacterial infection, cleaning is recommended only with saline solution.
If you see that the white part of the eye turns red, or the eyelids start to swell, do not hesitate to consult your pediatrician.
Source: Ophthalmology for Pediatricians. Spanish Association of Pediatrics.